Saturday 9 June 2012

Linux alternative to spotlight and windows startmenu

I really like the work flow of "run command" alt+f2 in most of the linux distros, but i would like to extend the functionality from just running a command to search etc.

I really dig the spotlight functionality on Mac OS X, and the startmenu functionality of windows.

windows 7 - start menu

OS X - Spotlight


I tried alternatives like The Synapse Launcher, Gnome Do and Google Desktop Search, but they seemed slow and very slow (and everyone working with unity will tell you how much of a pain alt+f2 is when it is slow).

I finally found Kupfer, which is really cool. Check it out in this video for an longer introduction of kupfer:




Personally I use Kupfer under LXDE which works great.


No comments:

Post a Comment